Tuesday 6 March 2012

Day 2: The "Why"

"If you have a good WHY, you can withstand any HOW."
- Jillian Michaels (Body Revolution)

Today's Fitness Plan : Workout 2
I could definitely feel yesterday's workout this morning: my quads complained when I got out of bed and my pecs chimed in with a complaint of their own when I put on my workout clothes.  Suck it up, muscles! We have 90 days of this ahead of us!

I really enjoyed Workout 2.  Some of my favourite moves are in there : skaters, supermans, donkey kicks...  The lunge + trunk twist combo was possibly the best part.  I really felt it in my glutes and sides.  I can already tell it'll hurt tomorrow. :-)

As always, Jillian shared a few golden words of inspiration during the workout.  Today's quote is at the top of this entry.  It really made me think about WHY I'm doing this. Why I'm committing to not only 90 days of Body Revolution, but to losing 75 pounds.  There are so many answers to that question.... However, I have to admit the main reason is rather vain: I have two boxes of "skinny" clothes that I am dying to wear again.  I bought them two years ago when I got down to my lowest weight ever.  I only got to wear them for a month or two, and then I started gaining weight again.  *sigh*  It's pretty sad, actually. I had lost 60 pounds by going to kickboxing class every day - sometimes twice a day!  I was in such great shape (I had biceps! I had a collar bone!)  But I couldn't stay on my student schedule forever.  At some point, real life caught up with me and I couldn't go to my evening workouts anymore as I was teaching evening classes.  Then I cut back my morning kickboxing lessons... Pretty soon, I wasn't doing any "regular" exercise at all!

Add to that the fact that I met my incredible boyfriend around the same time...  Don't get me wrong, I don't blame him for my weight gain in the least.  It's just that we were both so comfortable around each other that we didn't notice / care that we both gained a fair amount of weight since we started dating. All we wanted was lie around all day, talking and laughing, playing videogames all night, going for pancakes at 2:00 AM... The first few months of our relationship were a happy, ridiculous haze...  and the pounds started creeping on again.  It's been almost two years, and they haven't stopped.  I'm blessed with a boyfriend who finds me beautiful and sexy regardless of my weight and that is probably why I didn't really care about my weight gain all that much at the beginning.

Now, however, I've realised it has gone completely out of hand.  Not only did I regain the 60 pounds I had worked so hard to lose, I have packed on an extra 15! How the heck did that happen?!?!  (Oh yeah, those pancakes at 2:00 AM..)  That means I have 75 pounds to lose to get back to my goal weight.  75 pounds to fit back into those cute "skinny" outfits that are waiting for me in boxes at the back of my closet.  And fit in them again I will!  By the end of the year, I'll fit into my cigarette jeans again!



Today's Meal Plan

Breakfast: Pumpkin Spinach Smoothie  (Plain protein powder, pumpkin puree, spinach, pumpkin spice). Not as gross as yesterday's smoothie, but still nowhere near "good".  Smoothies are made to have fruit in them! Half a banana would've made this smoothie a wonderful breakfast!

Lunch: Egg with Turkey Bacon, Avocado and Tomato.  Mmmm, that was absolutely delicious!  I am loving turkey bacon lately.  It's half the fat of regular bacon and it seems you get more meat out of them.  Win - win, if you ask me.

Dinner: Hummus and soft whole wheat pita.  I know I wasn't supposed to have any wheat this week, but I didn't know what else to do for supper.  I had a root canal this afternoon and therefore couldn't eat anything hot, cold or chewy.  That pretty much eliminated everything I had in my fridge.  I ended up choosing hummus because it is soft and is still really delicious at room temperature.  Hopefully my tooth stops hurting by tomorrow, or else I'll have trouble figuring out my meal plan for the day.


2 comments:

  1. I love that quote from the workout too! I'm on week 2 so we'll both be on cardio 1 tomorrow. Get ready for the running man! It gets my heart rate through the roof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did Cardio 1 go? It was pretty bad for me (mostly because of my root canal). You were right: Running man was great to get the heartrate up! :-)

      Delete